Friday 3 May 2013

OUGD406- End of Module Self-Evaluation


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I developed a range of skills throughout this module. I have learnt to work within a time restraint for the ‘design is about doing brief.’ I had to organise my time by day to complete the work on time. For the ‘communication is a virus’ brief I enjoyed the discussions we had as a group and overcoming the challenges together. We delegated each other jobs to complete which I found a much more productive way of working. For the ‘speaking from experience’ brief I developed my skills in reacting to feedback to improve my work to achieve a better outcome.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

For the ‘speaking from…’ brief I thought more about the stock I wanted to use, which I hadn’t done, in previous briefs. This is can add to your work and look better than using the standard stock in the print room. I’m much more competent using a scalpel as I had to cut it out by hand. However I used the guillotine to trim my sketchbook and didn’t measure it properly which effected the quality.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I try to keep my design simple but with a strong visual impact. I like using limited colours and utilising negative space, which is something I want to continue and make my signature in the future.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My finishing skills are still not up to the standard I would like. The find the digital process ok but when it comes to cutting and sticking I need to be more efficient and concentrate more to achieve a professional finish.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Allow time for technical difficulties
I had to discard my shape shifter design for the speaking from.. brief because of difficulties when constructing it. If I had given myself more time I could of resolved the problem with some experimentation.

Print more copies of designs to allow for mistakes
As above, I printed two copies of the shape shifter which both went wrong. If I had printed more I could of resolved the problem.

Ask for more feedback from peers throughout the design process
From the crits I had, I received some really useful feedback to better my work. Some of the ideas that were suggested I would never of though of and they helped me to further develop my work.

 Sketch more initial ideas to fully explore an idea
I need to sketch more ideas before going onto the computer. I get annoyed at the quality of my drawings and end up spending too much time on them which is unnecessary as its about getting the idea down so I can further develop it.

Experiment with more colours
I’ve got into a bad habit of using cyan and magenta in a lot of my work. If I continue, I feel it will become boring and predictable. Different colour combinations will enhance my work give it some character.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



*

Punctuality




*
Motivation


*


Commitment



*

Quantity of work produced


*


Quality of work produced



*

Contribution to the group



*

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment